Sunday, December 4, 2011

Birthday bash!

My dad’s birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, and this year instead of buying him some present that he will put away in the closet for eternity (like fishing rods), I thought why not cook him dinner instead? It will be a nice change, and a lot of thought actually went into this idea so I’m sure he will like it much more than a stupid fishing rod. It feels like it’s more “coming from the heart” that kind of present, you know?
Kaya asked me what I will be cooking, and I told her that I will be making a nice salad, and some instant spaghetti, and garlic bread. The expensive kind from Wal-Mart. She had this expression on her face like she wanted to tell me something, but wasn’t quite sure how to phrase it. Kaya then said tentatively, “I think he will like the fishing rod.”

Nope, I bet he will like my idea of cooking dinner much better. I plan to make dessert too; this is a recent addition to the menu. So what if I burnt a couple of cookies from the premade cookie dough I got from the grocery store? I will get better with practice. Beside, when I suggested my brilliant idea to my dad, he told me he will eat anything I make. Ok, well, he didn’t exactly say that at first.

When I announce the good news that I was making dinner on my dad’s birthday, my mom asked what I will be cooking. I repeated the menu I listed to Kaya, and she burst out laughing uncontrollably. And she didn’t stop. I was naturally confused, as I’m sure; all of you are, so I asked what was so funny. I fail to see any humor in my amazing news. She was laughing to hard to respond for a while. Finally, she told me that she just remembered a joke she heard the day before. Oh. Ok. My dad had the same look on his face as Kaya when I told him the news, and he was like, “eh....um....er...I was thinking maybe we could go out for dinner?” I told him what a silly idea, there’s no need since I’m making it and I think he’ll be very impressed with the result. I can even squeeze some fresh lemonade to go with the spaghetti. (Everyone just overlook the fact that it’s instant. Spaghetti is too complicated to make.) At my suggestion, my mom laughed even harder until she was almost hysterical. I don’t know what joke is that funny. I asked my parents if they have any friends they want to invite over for dinner on that day, since it’s the first time I’ve ever cooked for anyone.
Mom (still hysterical): I don’t have any friends.
Dad: um....um....they’re probably all busy.
That’s fine by me. We’ll just have a nice, family dinner. I’m sure they will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment